[SIGCIS-Members] A New Timeline of Modern IT

Research research at archivesit.org.uk
Mon Jun 14 02:18:49 PDT 2021

Archives of IT offers a new timeline of the industry that has flourished since the invention of the stored program digital computer - see https://archivesit.org.uk/contributions/timeline/

Timelines can be dangerous - summarising stories but sometimes oversimplifying complex relationships between events and threads.

Our focus is on the personality of the industry and its social impact, so we have tried to illustrate, rather than summarise, the progression of the industry and its effect our lives over 70 years in a dozen major changes.

We would like to hear from scholars, researchers and followers of the history of information systems

  *   Are these the events that best summarise what IT and telecoms has done for us? Is there a better set?
and

  *   Which was the decade of greatest change?  See https://archivesit.org.uk/contributions/90s-revolution/ True or false?

Any views welcomed by reply to this email address or via our website

Tom Abram
Director - Archives of IT
research at archivesit.org.uk
www.archivesit.org.uk<http://www.archivesit.org.uk/>

> Subscribe<https://archivesit.org.uk/sign-up/> to our e-newsletter
> Follow us on Twitter @ArchivesIT<https://twitter.com/ArchivesIT>
> Please support us at www.giveasyoulive.com/join/ait<http://www.giveasyoulive.com/join/ait>

Registered Charity No: 1164198
This e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient.  If you have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately by return e-mail. Please then delete the e-mail and do not disclose its contents to any person.