[SIGCIS-Members] query re: Early UNIX distribution tape formats

Acker, Amelia aacker at ischool.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 30 17:16:37 PDT 2021

Dear colleagues,
I am researching early uses of magnetic tape for sharing and storing information with minicomputers, especially DEC machines. I am trying to gather stories where magnetic tapes are used to share software and data.

I’ve been learning about how Ken Thompson developed UNIX using the PDP-7 and later installing version 6 on a PDP-11 at Berkeley. According to Salus’ Quarter Century of UNIX, around 1978, Bill Joy begins offering a BSD distribution tapes described as '800 bpi magnetic tape, 1200 foot reel at $50'. Other accounts also mention "the 50 fixes" diff tape and Bell’s lawyers demanding licensees destroy the diff tape. I’m having trouble finding more information about the specifications of these tape formats.

Does anyone know what format(s) these early UNIX distribution tapes or would be? I would like to confirm that they were magnetic tape (and not paper?), and if any were DECtape or another kind of data tape format. Any ideas? Or good place to look for confirmation?

I would be grateful for any sources you can point me too.
Thanks,
Amelia

Amelia Acker, Assistant Professor
Director, Critical Data Studies Lab
The University of Texas at Austin ​| School of Information
http://www.ameliaacker.com/