[SIGCIS-Members] CFP--CBI Symposium "Automation by Design: Politics, Culture, and Landscape in an Age of Machines That Learn"

Jeffrey Yost yostx003 at umn.edu
Tue Jul 6 07:24:00 PDT 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Hope everyone is doing well. Our Program Committee (see below) is pleased
to announce (provide this CFP for) CBI's interdisciplinary symposium,
"Automation by Design." Bearing in mind the pandemic, and its possible
influence on research plans this past year, we are offering considerable
advance notice--proposals are due in late April 2022. Please email me, or
other committee members, with any questions or if we can be of assistance.
If your research aligns with any of the wide-ranging themes of "Automation
by Design," we encourage you to submit a proposal. Please share this CFP
with others who might be interested. Many thanks!

Best, Jeff
[image: logo cbi.jpg]

*CALL FOR PAPERS: *

*Automation by Design: Politics, Culture, and Landscape in an Age of
Machines That Learn*

(A CBI Symposium)

*Automation by Design* is a global, interdisciplinary, virtual CBI
symposium on the politics and culture of digital automation. We welcome
papers in a broad range of fields across the humanities and social
sciences. These include history, STS, sociology, anthropology, media
studies, policy, legal studies, geography, communication, rhetoric,
information studies, and philosophy.

The platformization of society, fueled by automation and machine learning,
impacts IT users in deleterious, discriminatory, democracy-threatening, and
at times deadly, ways that intersect and compound. This symposium seeks
papers that explore how automation—from its algorithmic and architectural
design to its structuring, materiality, maintenance, and use—has developed
jointly with social politics. We are especially interested in papers that
address education, law, capitalism, labor, science, medicine, leisure,
privacy/security, surveillance, the body, and the environment.

*Automation by Design* is a 1.5-day virtual symposium to be held
Friday-Saturday, Feb. 17-18, 2023.  Presenting authors agree to submit a
draft paper by a deadline preceding the event (to facilitate the delivery
of feedback through videoconferencing workshops prior to the event), and a
revised paper for consideration to an edited volume to be published with a
major academic publisher.

To apply: Please send a 300 to 450-word abstract that includes discussion
of research themes/questions, methods, and sources and a 2pp. CV. Please
send (single PDF) to cbi at umn.edu by the *deadline of April 29, 2022*. (For
accepted applicants, papers will be due Jan. 6, 2023).

*Program Committee:*

Dr. Jeffrey Yost, CBI Dir. & Res. Prof., HSTM, Univ. of Minnesota
<https://cse.umn.edu/cbi/jeffrey-r-yost-phd>

Dr. Gerardo Con Diaz, Assoc. Prof., STS, Univ. of California, Davis &
Stanford Univ. Fellow <https://sts.ucdavis.edu/people/condiaz>

Dr. Honghong Tinn, Asst. Prof., HSTM & ECE, Univ. of Minnesota
<https://cse.umn.edu/hstm/honghong-tinn>

Dr. Colette Perold, Asst. Prof., Media Studies, Univ. of Colorado
<https://www.colorado.edu/cmci/people/media-studies/colette-perold>

[The Charles Babbage Institute (CBI) for Computing, Information, and
Culture is a leading interdisciplinary research center and archives to
advance the infrastructure and understanding of computing and society.] CBI
Website <https://cse.umn.edu/cbi>

*"Injustice wears the same harsh face wherever it shows itself."*-Ralph
Ellison

Jeffrey R. Yost, Ph.D.
Director, Charles Babbage Institute
Research Professor, Program in the History of Science, Technology, and
Medicine

Co-Editor (w/ Gerard Alberts), Springer, History of Computing Book Series

Founder and Co-Editor (w/ Amanda Wick),

*Interfaces: Essays and Reviews in Computing and Culture*

c <https://cse.umn.edu/cbi/interfaces>se.umn.edu/cbi/interfaces
<https://cse.umn.edu/cbi/interfaces>

222  21st Avenue South
University of Minnesota