[SIGCIS-Members] Call for proposals: A New AI Lexicon

McMillan, William W william.mcmillan at cuaa.edu
Sat Jan 16 07:18:31 PST 2021

Hi, Joy.

Thanks for posting this announcement.

In considering concepts, metaphors, and terms used in AI, I wonder if it would also be useful to address WHY different people and organizations pursue AI (and maybe you and your colleagues do already).

I found this helpful in teaching AI courses.  You'll see people casually say things like "The purpose of AI is to understand the human mind."

But this isn't the goal of applied AI at, say, Amazon, when they suggest I buy a nice Cross pen because I recently bought a nice Parker pen.  They aren't interested in my mind at all, and don't care if they model how I think.  They just want to sell a pen.

In contrast, a philosopher or mathematician working in AI might be interested in what is theoretically or practically computable in complex reasoning tasks.

A biologist might look at AI to get ideas for the study of birds' flocking behavior.

A psychologist might consider automated techniques employed in visual pattern recognition to get ideas about how the human visual system works.

I found that without considering goals or motivation to pursue AI, simply defining the field was pretty hopeless.  Terms and metaphors can vary quite a bit, depending on the AI researcher's goals and discipline (and also on the time period during which the work is done).

Not sure if this is that relevant to your pursuits, but FWIW...

Regards,
Bill