[SIGCIS-Members] Fwd: [CDCinfo] a question for computer historians regarding Netscape

Chuck House housec1839 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 12:27:27 PST 2021

It doesn’t answer directly your question, but here’s a tidbit somewhat related to it.    At Veritas, we had retained a consultant, a kid named Brian Marick, one of the four who worked on NCSA Mosaic at Illinois (the two well-known ‘kids’ were Andreessen and Bina; the other two did not come west to do what became Netscape).    Marick later attained some fame via doing the Agile Manifesto for software development.   Through this connection, I had a possibility to invest slightly in Netscape, which (brilliantly) I declined.    They went public on a Wednesday August 9th, and the stock went nuts.  My wife, then at Apple, was incensed that I had not bought any, either before or at the opening.   I mean, like INCENSED.

We had a small home for sale in Palo Alto that week, and the deal failed when on the same Wednesday, our proposed buyer, who was the golf course manager for Shoreline, was indicted for cause.   We were mostly packed and ready to move when this happened.   That same Wednesday night,  Jim Barksdale, who was the Netscape CEO at the IPO, bought a home down the block (1107 Hamilton Ave) with his new-found fortune, and he asked the owners to move out by the weekend, which caught them quite off-guard.    Their realtor was our realtor; she said to them—“I know another home down the street (1140) that you’d love, and they could move quickly.”

So, not yet knowing the backstory that the realtor knew, I met this couple at lunch the next day Thursday, in our home.  The wife, without tipping their hand, said, “How soon could you move?”  Gratuitously (I must have been on drugs), I leaned casually on the SubZero fridge, and said, for the right price, we could move this weekend.”  She said, “Well, how about by tomorrow night, Friday?”

I gulped, and said, “I need to call my wife,” who was working across town.   When she answered, I said something like, “Hey, I just got a chance to get some Netscape money if we move quickly, what do you think?”   She said “sure, glad to hear it.”

When she later learned that “moving quickly” meant something different than just writing an investment check, she was not easily mollified.   But we did move Friday, and Barksdale moved in down the street on Sunday or Monday.

Later, I had an unusual opportunity, probably as ACM President at some untoward meeting—to introduce Mark Andreessen to Doug Englebart.   I don’t recall how we happened to get together, but I clearly recall each of them exclaiming, almost simultaneously, that “I’m thrilled to meet you”.   One was 25, the other 70.    I wish I had a photo of that encounter.

Chuck House

www.innovascapesinstitute.com

www.anywhereanytime.io/covid19

http://innovascapes.blogspot.com