[SIGCIS-Members] Fwd: [CDCinfo] a question for computer historians regarding Netscape

Jeffrey Yost yostx003 at umn.edu
Thu Jan 14 09:07:36 PST 2021

Dear All,

Misti and Tom's suggestion of Lewis's *The New, New Thing* (and Wired)
came to mind first.  Some other possibilities are the *San Jose Mercury
News*, which I think  has a historical digitized database going back to the
mid 1980s or so. (Perhaps the historical databases of the newspaper
articles of the *WSJ *and *NYT *also)   The trade publications *Computerworld
*and *Datamation *might be possibilities.  In addition to Lewis's book
which is detailed, other journalists wrote books on the Browser Wars, might
be something in them on this. University of Illinois has tremendous
Archives/Special Collections, that might be a place to check with as well.
I don't know what they have on Mosaic and the commercialization of the work
done at Illinois by Andreeson, Clark and Co. at Netscape,, but perhaps they
have something.

At CBI we have grown our internet history archives greatly in recent
years...Do not know what is in it but we have a bit on Netscape's early
years in the Monash Collection and the Cortada Papers. (Have a ton on the
other MOSAIC ;-) (Multi-User On-Line System for the Analysis of
International Computing, an interdisciplinary collaborative effort to study
computing/CS in the USSR, China, etc.), but relatively little on Mosaic
browser and Netscape (other than one is below) at CBI.

Best, Jeff

Netscape, 1995-1998.
<https://archives.lib.umn.edu/repositories/3/archival_objects/55986>
 File — Box: 21, Folder: 1-6
Scope and Contents From the Series: Files are listed in alphabetical order
by company name. Many companies have multiple listings under slightly
different names, such as Acucobol and Acucobol, Inc. When provided, the
original file names were retained.
*Dates: *1995-1998.
*Found in: *Charles Babbage Institute Archives
<https://archives.lib.umn.edu/repositories/3> / CBI 160, Curt A. Monash
papers <https://archives.lib.umn.edu/repositories/3/resources/277> / Company
Files <https://archives.lib.umn.edu/repositories/3/archival_objects/54645>
Manger, Jason J. Netscape Navigator , 1995
<https://archives.lib.umn.edu/repositories/3/archival_objects/62267>
 Item — Box: 116
Scope and Content Note From the Collection: The James W. Cortada Papers
include research materials for The Digital Hand(Cortada's three-volume
history of computing in American industries), IBM documents and
publications collected by Cortada while working for the company, and
publications authored or edited by James W. Cortada on the history of
business and computing.

Box numbering starts over with the 2009 donation.
*Dates: *1995
*Found in: *Charles Babbage Institute Archives
<https://archives.lib.umn.edu/repositories/3> / CBI 185, James W. Cortada
papers <https://archives.lib.umn.edu/repositories/3/resources/289> / Books
and Serials, 2009 Donation.
<https://archives.lib.umn.edu/repositories/3/archival_objects/60073>

Best, Jeff

*"Injustice wears the same harsh face wherever it shows itself."*-Ralph
Ellison

Jeffrey R. Yost, Ph.D.
Director, Charles Babbage Institute
Research Professor, Program in the History of Science, Technology, and
Medicine

222  21st Avenue South
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN 55455