[SIGCIS-Members] Reminder deadline for Tomash Fellowship and Norberg Travel Grants this friday (1/15/2021)

Jeffrey Yost yostx003 at umn.edu
Tue Jan 12 09:17:52 PST 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Happy new year to all!  Just wanted to send a quick reminder that the
*DEADLINE* for both the *CBI Tomash Fellowship* (including supporting
material), and  applications for *CBI Norberg Grants* are due midnight
(Central Time Zone/Minneapolis) *this Friday 1/15/2021*.  As I wrote
prior,  the Norberg Grant parameters/mechanism is being changed this year
to foster/support remote usage (not a travel reimbursement this year given
the pandemic and closed reading room at our library). This will mean more
grants, and a lesser amount ($400) for remote use of our collections
(essentially a scanning reimbursement allowance). This can be a great way
to augment an existing research project with one or a number of our 300
plus collections on computing/software/networking and social, cultural,
political, institutional contexts, or launch a new project idea (grants
must be used in calendar 2021, scanning orders in place by Oct. 31).  Along
with discussion of your project in your Norberg Grant application, all
competitive applications will have clearly identified CBI collections of
interest based on reviewing CBI finding aids (database of our finding aids
is at Charles Babbage Institute Archives · University of Minnesota
Libraries (umn.edu) <https://www.lib.umn.edu/cbia>.  On a collection page
in the database/Archives Space, clicking the "print" icon yields the full
PDF of a finding aid for the collection (finding aids range between several
pages for small collections, and well over a hundred pages for our largest
collections).

ABD students in any discipline doing a historical based study of
computing/information technology are eligible to apply for the Tomash
Dissertation Fellowship.

Norberg grants support interdisciplinary research also. While eligible to
all ranks (and to nonacademics), most grants generally are awarded to
graduate students, postdocs, and junior faculty/equivalent.

Information and requirements:
Tomash Fellowship CBI Research Program: Tomash Fellowship (umn.edu)
<http://www.cbi.umn.edu/research/tfellowship.html>
Norberg Grants CBI Research Program: Norberg Travel Fund (umn.edu)
<http://www.cbi.umn.edu/research/ntravelfund.html>

Thank you to those of you who have applied to either or both, we expect to
send notifications regarding these two competitions by mid-February.

Best, Jeff

*"Injustice wears the same harsh face wherever it shows itself."*-Ralph
Ellison

Jeffrey R. Yost, Ph.D.
Director, Charles Babbage Institute
Research Professor, Program in the History of Science, Technology, and
Medicine

222  21st Avenue South
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN 55455