[SIGCIS-Members] Bloomberg Xbox history oddly disses Microsoft staff as "historian-type" people

Hansen Hsu hansnhsu at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 15:08:37 PST 2021

This is admittedly pretty odd.

But for those who might not be aware, before its acquisition by Microsoft, Bungie was actually a Macintosh game developer, which made games like Pathways Into Darkness and the Marathon series of FPS games for the Mac, as well as the RTS series Myth. Elements of Marathon would reappear in the Halo games: marines fighting against not one, but two separate alien threats; a sentient AI helping the protagonist along the way. Being a small Mac-first game developer, Bungie probably had a rebel attitude going into the acquisition that would necessarily be a difficult culture-fit for the corporate Microsoft.