[SIGCIS-Members] Graphics Gathering

andy patros apatros at stny.rr.com
Thu Feb 25 08:20:21 PST 2021

Hello folks,

I have been conducting research on an early effort at photo scanning, saving to a computer and output to a hardware device (in this case a CalComp plotter) by H. Philip Peterson in 1965 at Control Data Labs, at their Burlington, Massachusetts “Digigraphics" facility.

Mr. Peterson worked with Wes Clark, Ken Olson, Larry Roberts, the Sutherlands, Jack Gilmore and others at MIT’s Lincoln Labs in the late 1950’s, through the early 1960’s.

The item Mr. Peterson produced was known as the Mona By the Numbers, and aka Digital Mona Lisa.

Over the years I have aggregated a fair amount of information on Peterson and the Mona, but am always looking to add more to my knowledge base.

High resolution photos of the DML/MBTN can be seen at my website, www.digitalmonalisa.com <http://www.digitalmonalisa.com/>, along with a few documents from my research collection, and a promotional video from Calcomp from 1968, with the DML hanging in the background.

I have made direct contact with Ted Nelson, Wes Clark, Larry Roberts and others, regarding their time alongside Mr. Peterson either at MIT or Control Data.

Might folks on this listserv be aware of this project from H. Philip Peterson, and be able to add to my knowledge base, or direct me to others that may have information on this item?

Regards,

Andy Patros
1127 Pennsylvania Ave.
Elmira, NY 14904