[SIGCIS-Members] Graphics

LO*OP CENTER, INC. lizaloop at loopcenter.org
Tue Feb 23 21:53:28 PST 2021

Have any of you come across an early machine at MIT called 'Ollie's Folly"?
Family lore says that it was something my father, Oliver H. Straus, worked
on in, probably, the early '50s. Straus was on the team that developed the
Cesium Clock but what he really loved were computers. There were two
Olivers on campus at the time, Oliver Straus and Oliver Selfridge. I didn't
know my father very well and went on a pilgrimage to find out about him in
the early '90s. When I met with Selfridge he didn't have much information
except that my father was known as Ollie and Selfridge insisted on being
called Oliver. I'm very curious whether there is anything more to find out
about him.

Thanks,

Liza

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 4:46 PM Guy Fedorkow <guy.fedorkow at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi Jacob,
>   did you look into graphics displays on the Whirlwind computer built at
> MIT in the early 1950's?  We have good evidence that there were limited
> interactive graphics running there before 1952, but I don't know how that
> fits into work by other researchers
>   Thanks
> /guy
>

> On 2/22/2021 8:08 PM, Jacob Gaboury wrote:
>
> This is exciting, thank you for sharing Dag! If I can I'd like to also
> flag my own forthcoming book on the early history of computer graphics from
> 1950-1980, with a focus on the University of Utah program. It will be
> released in August 2021 from MIT Press:
> https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/image-objects
>
> --
> Jacob Gaboury
> Assistant Professor of New Media History and Theory
> Dept. of Film & Media, University of California, Berkeley
> jacobgaboury.com/ <http://www.jacobgaboury.com/>
>

> On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 4:04 PM Dag Spicer <dspicer at computerhistory.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello friends,
>>
>> Just a note about computer graphics: CG pioneer and Pixar co-founder Alvy
>> Ray Smith has completed an amazingly comprehensive book on the origins and
>> development of computer graphics. It is in press right now with MIT Press
>> and is named, “A Biography of the the Pixel.” It will be available in Sept
>> 2021. I have a pre-press version and it’s superb, its coverage of
>> humankind’s expressiveness in art ranging from the cave paintings of
>> Altamira to *Toy Story*.
>>
>> Read more at MIT Press here:
>> https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/biography-pixel
>>
>> To Infinity and Beyond!
>>
>> Dag
>> ——
>> Dag Spicer
>> Senior Curator
>> Computer History Museum
>>
>> 1401 N. Shoreline Blvd.
>> Mountain View, CA 94043
>> dspicer at computerhistory.org

> This email is relayed from members at sigcis.org, the email discussion list of SHOT SIGCIS. Opinions expressed here are those of the member posting and are not reviewed, edited, or endorsed by SIGCIS. The list archives are at http://lists.sigcis.org/pipermail/members-sigcis.org/ and you can change your subscription options at http://lists.sigcis.org/listinfo.cgi/members-sigcis.org

Liza Loop
Executive Director, LO*OP Center, Inc.
Guerneville, CA 95446
www.loopcenter.org
650 619 1099 (between 8 am and 10 pm Pacific time only please)