[SIGCIS-Members] Graphics Gathering

Chuck House housec1839 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 09:09:33 PST 2021

Liza, I appreciated the invite to this, though I got it late enough that I was unable to attend.   Sounds like a rollicking good time!

Chuck

From: Members <members-bounces at lists.sigcis.org> on behalf of "LO*OP CENTER, INC." <lizaloop at loopcenter.org>
Date: Monday, February 22, 2021 at 8:54 AM
To: "David C. Brock" <dcb at dcbrock.net>
Cc: members <members at sigcis.org>
Subject: Re: [SIGCIS-Members] Graphics Gathering

Thanks for posting this news about the Graphics Gathering, David.

The whole, unedited recording will not be released because we didn't ask for permission to do this from all attendees. However, excerpts covering specific topics with confidential material redacted can be requested. (I'll get in touch with the organizers and let you know who to contact or you can reach out to the attendees directly) The "party" ran for more than 13 hours with participants from California to Singapore. Conversations were wide-ranging with a wonderful recounting of the early history of customized printing by 96 year-old Marvin Pearlmutter. Marvin pioneered digital control of a linotype machine and showed this at the New York World's Fair, Bell Labs and Princeton. His son, Howard Pearlmutter, founder of the Gathering in 1981, and others displayed many posters and illustrations from the Graphics Gathering and Peoples' Computer Company. We talked about which were hand-drawn, why, and what computer tools were used. Other highlight topics were: who worked with whom in the '60s and '70s, what access to computing kids had back then, how young techies are interacting with government today and, of course, what we anticipate for the future of tech. Ecology and ethics came up almost as much as graphics and computing.

I managed to stay awake for the whole 13 hours and was fascinated by the volume of, most likely, undocumented history that was aired. Let's get these stories preserved and make sure they are accurate while we have the opportunity to interact with the people who lived them.

Cheers,

Liza