[SIGCIS-Members] "String" [was Re: Origin of "vector" in vector graphics]

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 13:03:48 PST 2021

Hi,

Here's a start:

"Comit [11], designed in 1957-58, was the fi
rst string-processing language.
[11] Victor H. Yngve. Computer Programming with COMIT II. MIT Press,
Cambridge, MA, 1963."

Griswold, Ralph & Hanson, David. (1995), String Processing Languages,Encyclopedia of Computer Science, 3rd ed., Van Nostrand Reinhold, NY, 1993, pp. 1302-1308.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2752636_String_Processing_Languages

The original COMIT paper might have priority:

Mechanical Translation, vol.5, no.1, July 1958; pp. 25-41
A Programming Language for Mechanical Translation
Victor H. Yngve, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
http://www.mt-archive.info/MT-1958-Yngve.pdf

Regards
   Brian Carpenter