[SIGCIS-Members] introducing moderator Shreeharsh Kelkar

Irish, Sharon Lee slirish at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 1 03:45:36 PST 2021

Greetings SIGCIS,
As I mentioned in my message yesterday, we “old" SIGCIS moderators have been joined by three new moderators, Troy Astarte, Shreeharsh Kelkar, and Alexander Mirowski. In the coming months, one “old” moderator will team up with a newbie to moderate the list. I am glad to partner with Shreeharsh Kelkar for the next couple of months and wanted to formally introduce him to the list.

Shreeharsh finished his PhD in 2016 at MIT in History, Anthropology, and Science, Technology, and Society (HASTS) and has been working as a Lecturer at UC-Berkeley in Interdisciplinary Studies since. He uses historical and ethnographic methods to understand how new computing infrastructures of humans, algorithms, software, and data (or “AI”) are changing labor, work practices, and expertise. His work has been published in many journals including New Media and Society and Theory and Society. He is currently working on a manuscript tentatively titled "Reinventing Expertise: Technology Reformers and the Platformization of Higher Education.” The book describes how reformers are transforming institutions through the new practices of “data science” and “design thinking” and argues that these practices reconfigure our notions of what an expert does. To read more, see http://www.shreeharshkelkar.net

Welcome, Shreeharsh, and thank you for helping out!

Sharon

Sharon Irish
Research Affiliate
School of Information Sciences