[SIGCIS-Members] CfA Conference ‘Urban Circulations’

Raphael Longoni longoni at kritis.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Dec 20 08:20:16 PST 2021

The Research Training Group KRITIS invites researchers and practitioners
to participate at the conference on June 23, 2022.

Accessible and functional urban sanitation, unimpeded mobility, steady
electrical power provision, and permanent internet connection are
desired standards today in most settings worldwide. They require
unceasing streams of matter, energy, people, and information circulating
in socio-technical networks or arrangements we call infrastructures. At
the same time, issues such as the current pandemic and climate change
are challenging the modernist ideal of continuous flows, their
acceleration, intensification, and ubiquitous connectivity. It reminds
us of the risks of our dependency on undisrupted provision as well as of
malign or transgressive, i.e. unwanted circulations.
The circulation within and around infrastructure systems is one of the
central themes of the Research Training Group KRITIS. It is the aim of
this conference to elaborate understandings of circulation in and
between cities mediated by infrastructures.
Contributions may focus on, but are not limited to:
     • Conceptual approaches: What are the potentials and limitations of
circulation to explain movements in complex systems? How can we
empirically observe and assess hidden and entangled circulations?
     • Continuity and interruption: How do loads, goods, or people
feature in particular kinds of circulation? How can societies and
infrastructures be protected from the risks of involuntary interruption
accompanying circulations? What do such interruptions reveal about
infrastructure and underlying socio-political systems?
     • Society and ecology: How do infrastructures contribute to or
mediate social and environmental problems and how can they serve as a
key for solutions? How do users and non-users deal with unreliable,
tenuous, or inaccessible circulation? Are there perspectives for
inclusive circulation and participatory infrastructure planning?
Our one-day, online conference calls for contributions from various
academic disciplines, and practitioners alike.
Participation:
     • Please submit an abstract of max. 300 words until February 23,
2022 to circulationconference at kritis.tu-darmstadt.de
     • The conference will be held online. There are no conference fees.
     • The language of moderations and discussions is English.
Contributions may bein English or German.
     • We will confirm participation by March 15, 2022

Kind Regards

--
Raphael Longoni, M. A.

Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter

Technische Universität Darmstadt
Graduiertenkolleg KRITIS
   und
Institut für Geschichte, Mittelalterliche Geschichte
Dolivostraße 15
D-64293 Darmstadt
Deutschland

Tel.:   +49 6151 16-57444