[SIGCIS-Members] Book announcement: "Digitalisierung der Kreditwirtschaft"

Schmitt, Martin martin.schmitt at tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Dec 16 03:42:57 PST 2021

Dear SIGCIS,

I am super happy to announce that my book on the history of digitalization of German banking was published by Wallstein this month! You might have heard me talking about it, now the full work finally is here:

Die Digitalisierung der Kreditwirtschaft. Computereinsatz in den Sparkassen der Bundesrepublik und der DDR 1957-1991, Göttingen: Wallstein-Verlag 2021 (Medien und Gesellschaftswandel im 20. Jahrhundert 15), https://www.wallstein-verlag.de/9783835333710-die-digitalisierung-der-kreditwirtschaft.html

Here is an English summary of the content: "Hardly any other technology has changed the German economy as much as the digital computers. However, the process of digitalization goes back further than is generally assumed. By the early 1960s, for example, banks and savings banks in both German states had started digitizing their business processes.
Banks therefore stood for a broader trend in the German economy on its way to the digital age. How and why did companies in the Federal Republic and the GDR employ computer technology? Which kinds of interactions can be identified, i.e. how did digitalization affect companies, and how did the latter, in turn, affect the development of computer technology and software? Questions such as these are being examined through research in the history of computing.
Martin Schmitt’s study focuses on changes in the work place, from the labor market to work processes in companies, and on gender issues, for example in data collection. In addition, it looks at networking processes which, from the end of the 1970s onwards, have increased the interdependence of economic actors. Thirdly, it focuses on changes in spatial and temporal structures. A comparative view between East and West Germany will serve to determine the transformational effects of digitization beyond political systems."

The book itself is available in German only. I know that this might be a barrier for some of you. I am looking for possibilities to translate it into English.
Now my work is done and it is out to the world of science and society. I am very thankful for all the inspirations I got here from the SIGCIS community and the warm welcome. I mentioned that in my acknowledgments, but I wanted to address that personally to you, as I don’t take this amazing support, intellectual exchange and scientific infrastructure for granted.

 [cid:3268D598-64C5-4BE0-A0F8-BA1B0114FEA1]

All the best, have wonderful holidays and stay safe in these days!
Martin

Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter | Post-Doc | digital enthusiast

Technische Universität Darmstadt
Institut für Geschichte
Fachgebiet Technikgeschichte

Mail: martin.schmitt at tu-darmstadt.de<mailto:martin.schmitt at tu-darmstadt.de>
Tel: +49  6151-16-57327
http://www.computerisierung.com

&

Assoziierter Wissenschaftler
LEIBNIZ-ZENTRUM FÜR ZEITHISTORISCHE FORSCHUNG | POTSDAM

Vice Chair IFIP WG 9.7 „History of computing"

Zuletzt erschienen: Leslie, Christopher und Martin Schmitt (eds.): Histories of Computing in Eastern Europe, Cham: Springer International Publishing 2019 (IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology 549), https://www.springer.com/978-3-030-29159-4