[SIGCIS-Members] CCS - September 16th 2021 Investigating the Work and Life of Percy Ludgate (1883-1922)

Roger Johnson r.johnson at bbk.ac.uk
Wed Aug 25 01:11:09 PDT 2021

Dear Fellow Members

The first meeting of the Computer Conservation Society for the 2021/22 season is on Thursday 16th September 2021 at 2.30pm (London time). Our speaker is one of the leading UK computing pioneers and a leading computer historian, Prof Brian Randell, for many years on the staff of Newcastle University.

Those responsible for arranging and delivering the CCS meeting programme have decided that all meetings from now on will be hybrid meetings meaning that it will be possible to either attend in person at BCS London or to join via Zoom. In addition all meetings will continue to be recorded. The only exception that we foresee to these arrangements will be the December Film Show where we may be limited by copyright considerations.

During the past year we have had a number of successful talks by speakers located abroad or speaking from their homes. Please note that some meetings this year the speaker may be speaking from a remote location rather than being present in London in person. Trials of the technology have demonstrated that wherever the speaker is located, questions and comments can be put to the speaker both by remote participants and also by the audience in London.

The title of the first meeting is Investigating the Work and Life of Percy Ludgate (1883-1922). Our speaker is Prof Brian Randell. Due to the continuing high levels of Covid-19 in London the organisers have agreed with Prof Randell that he will make his presentation from his home.

Brian Randell has written that:
Percy Edwin Ludgate is notable as the second person to publish a design for an Analytical Machine, the first after Babbage's "Analytical Engine". In this talk I will describe results of the first new investigation into the life and work of Percy Ludgate since my paper on Ludgate of nearly 50 years ago. This investigation, led by Brian Coghlan of Trinity College Dublin, has uncovered a range of new material, including two significant discoveries, one concerning Ludgate's machine and the other his family.

It is essential to pre-register for the event.  To do so, follow this link http://www.computerconservationsociety.org/lectures/current/lecture.htm and click on the "Book" symbol. You will be asked whether you are planning to attend in person at the BCS, London or remotely via Zoom. The link to Zoom will be circulated by email the day before the meeting. If you have not used the Zoom software before it is available as a free download by clicking on the link. I recommend that you download it ahead of the start of the meeting.
The physical meeting is at the BCS, Ground Floor, 25 Copthall Ave, London EC2R 7BP. The building is fully accessible. This is in the City and close to Moorgate tube and within easy walking distance of Liverpool Street and Bank stations.  See http://streetmap.co.uk/postcode/ec2r7bp . The meeting room in London will be open with tea and coffee from 2PM to meet fellow members and to allow the talk will begin at 2.30PM.
Our meetings are open to all free of charge so do pass on this invitation to others who may be interested in this meeting or other CCS activities.

The programme for the current season will be found at http://www.computerconservationsociety.org/lectures/current/lecture.htm

Good wishes

Roger Johnson
CCS London Programme Secretary