[SIGCIS-Members] Query about invention of wired networking

Willard McCarty willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Aug 24 23:19:44 PDT 2021

Dear Doug,

For the networking of computers, consider, for example, Turing's
off-the-cuff remark to a London Times reporter about a computer writing
sonnets for another computer, which suggests machines communicating
directly with each other: London Times, 11 June 1949, quoted and
discussed in Andrew Hodges, Alan Turing, the Enigma (2014/1983), 510f.
For another, see "G.E. to use 2 'brains'" in the New York Times, 30
December 1954, about a "four-way hook-up for the rapid processing of
engineering and research problems on two giant electronic 'brains'". But
these are only two instances I found accidentally in the course of
looking for something else.

I suspect that the NYT instance has more than a little to do with early
automation, which in origin was all about a shift from individual
operations of separate machines to a continuous process of manufacture
controlled by what we'd call a computer (in the newspapers, 'brain').
Another (as has been mentioned) is person-to-person or
station-to-station communications; see, for example, Mountbatten's
expansive address to the British Institution of Radio Engineers,
reported in the London Times, 1 November 1946  in "An electronic brain
solving abstruse problems: Valves with memory", where war-time
communications and the new 'brains' share the same column. A much older
source is Victorian projections of the human nervous and circulatory
systems, for which see a brief mention on p. 31 in my "Residue of
uniqueness", Historical Social Research 37.3 (2012), 24-45, esp. Laura
Otis' Networking: Communicating with Bodies and Machines in the
Nineteenth Century (2001).

I hope this helps.

Yours,
WM

--
Willard McCarty,
Professor emeritus, King's College London;