[SIGCIS-Members] whirlwind, radar and real-time tracking

Pierre Mounier-Kuhn mounier at msh-paris.fr
Sun Apr 25 00:29:20 PDT 2021

To complement the previous commentaries by Aristotle, Paul and Bernard, I would recommend reading Ronald R. Kline's chapter on "Inventing an Analog Past and a Digital Future" in " Exploring the Early Digital " (Thomas Haigh, ed.), a remarkable "historicization" of these categories.
Let's add that Von Neumann's " The Computer and the Brain " (chapter 1) contain a convincing demonstration of the intrinsic superiority of the digital over the analogue for a large class of problems.
Best,
Pierre

NB: lesson: Never ask a simple question on this list, unless you want to be assigned with a year-long list of must-reads!