[SIGCIS-Members] whirlwind, radar and real-time tracking

LO*OP CENTER, INC. lizaloop at loopcenter.org
Sat Apr 24 14:15:04 PDT 2021

My dad, Oliver H. Straus, was one of those non-students who hung around MIT
and Lincoln Labs in the late 40's and 50's. He also worked on the Nike
missiles. I didn't know him very well and most of what he did was
classified. If you find any references to him, please let me know.

Cheers,

Liza

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 2:06 PM Bernard Geoghegan <
bernardgeoghegan2010 at u.northwestern.edu> wrote:

> Hi Colleagues,
>

> This is quite fascinating—thanks Guy, and everyone else.
>

> I worked a bit on the longer arc of vigilance and aerial defense WWI
> through Cold War, leaping from WW2 radar to digital SAGE (over/through
> Whirlwind) in the essay below. Taking cues from Mindell, I suggest that the
> continuity of the control priblem trumps the significance of analog/digital
> for some key concerns:
>

> Bernard Dionysius Geoghegan, “An Ecology of Operations: Vigilance, Radar,
> and the Birth of the Computer Screen,” *Representations* 147, no. 1
> (August 2019): 59–95, https://doi.org/10.1525/rep.2019.147.1.59.
>

> I’m deeply indebted to Paul’s book, mentioned already. More generally, for
> situating these technologies in a wider network of technologies and
> protocols cutting across analog and digital, WW2 and Cold War talks and
> technologies, I also found helpful:
>

> Sharon Ghamari-Tabrizi, “Cognitive and Perceptual Training in the Cold War
> Man-Machine System,” in *Uncertain Empire: American History and the Idea
> of the Cold War*, ed. Joel Isaac and Duncan Bell (Oxford: Oxford
> University Press, 2014), 267–93. (On the human element but the training was
> so thorough and rigorous, and the systems-design so pervasive, it’s hard to
> view “human factors” as not also a technical element, perhaps even a
> technology)
>

> Christoph Borbach and Tristan Thielmann, “Über das Denken in
> Ko-Operationsketten. Arbeiten am Luftlagebild,” in *Materialität der
> Kooperation*, ed. Sebastian Gießmann, Tobias Röhl, and Ronja Trischler
>  (Wiesbaden: Springer Fachmedien, 2019), 115–67,
> https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-658-20805-9_5.
>

> Also:
>
> Thomas Parke Hughes, *Rescuing Prometheus* (New York: Pantheon Books,
> 1998). [Chapter 2 on SAGE, but I seem to recall discussions of Whirlwind,
> too]
>

> Stephen B. Johnson, *The United States Air Force and the Culture of
> Innovation, 1945-1965* (Washington, D.C.: Air Force History and Museums
> Program, 2002). (I think this may have something. Not sure)
>

> For a philosophical and speculative take on these kinds of systems and
> their signifance, including fallout in gaming: Claus Pias, “The Game
> Player’s Duty: The User as the Gestalt of the Ports,” in *Media
> Archaeology: Approaches, Applications, and Implications*, ed. Erkki
> Huhtamo and Jussi Parikka (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2011),
> 164–83. [I think his book on computer games has relevant material too]
>

> I’d be delighted to keep apprised of your continuing work on this topic
> Guy, thank you so much for sharing!
>

> Best, b
>

> *From: *Members <members-bounces at lists.sigcis.org> on behalf of Paul N.
> Edwards <pedwards at stanford.edu>
> *Date: *Saturday, 24 April 2021 at 20:56
> *To: *Guy Fedorkow <guy.fedorkow at gmail.com>
> *Cc: *members <members at sigcis.org>
> [...]

Liza Loop
Executive Director, LO*OP Center, Inc.
Guerneville, CA 95446
www.loopcenter.org
650 619 1099 (between 8 am and 10 pm Pacific time only please)