[SIGCIS-Members] whirlwind, radar and real-time tracking

Pierre Mounier-Kuhn mounier at msh-paris.fr
Sat Apr 24 11:58:19 PDT 2021

Bonjour Guy,
   For most of us, "living inside the MIT bubble" is more a dream than a cause for fear! By the way, do you know if Marvin Minsky's personal archives have been finally transferred from his family house to the MIT archives?

   As far as I know, the best references to put the work on Whirlwind into context with the rest of the world, in addition to those mentioned by Tom, are the books published by Bill Aspray, Martin Campbell-Kelly, Paul Ceruzzi and Tom Haigh – and of course my "Histoire illustree de l'informatique", co-authored with E. Lazard!

   The Whirlwind can compete for the title of "first --- computer in history" – a familiar game for us historians requiring to fill the interval with qualificatives, here "- real-time, stored-program -".

   As Mark Priestley said, the previous experience with analogue calculators (and, I would add, with servo-mechanisms R&D which is very interesting to study at the MIT archives) must have been key to conceive the idea of a real-time digital computer. It is also true of other teams which later designed real-time systems: Most of them were familiar with analogue machines, and often developed hybrid systems, particularly for flight simulation.

   Anecdotically, the records of the French Aeronautics Research Office contain a  meeting record from the late 1940s, mentioning a futuristic "Automated radar network". It was merely a daydream in the impoverished post-war France, but it confirms that the idea was thinkable among young engineers at that time. Such systems did not materialize there until ten years later *.

   Similar delay in the USSR, where a SAGE-like project was launched in 1956-1957, leading to the "Earth" and "Uragan" systems.

Best,
Pierre

* in https://cnrs.academia.edu/PierreMounierKuhn
you may find a paper on Electronic_calculators_and_new_weapon_systems_Military_Industry_Academic_interactions_in_France_1946-1959_
confirming that continental Europe was 5 to 10 years behind the US in this field