[SIGCIS-Members] Introducing "AI & its Discontents"

Colin Kelley Garvey shunryu at stanford.edu
Fri Apr 9 04:34:59 PDT 2021

Dear all —
I am happy to announce the publication of "Artificial Intelligence and its Discontents,” a special double issue of Interdisciplinary Science Reviews that I guest edited. It covers AI across a number of critical intersections, from history, literature, and healthcare to epistemology, decolonization, and ethnography. I think there’s something for everyone in this expansive collection.

Introduction
Unsavory medicine for technological civilization: Introducing ‘Artificial Intelligence & its Discontents’ <https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/YEWXJ4SWXIWINWQX9ZTX/full?target=10.1080/03080188.2020.1840820> (open access)- Shunryu Colin Garvey
*My introduction to the issue is constructed as a brief literature review of the past 60+ years of AI criticism, and includes a rather extensive bibliography which you might find useful for teaching and/or further research.

Articles (Linked articles are open access)
1.     The lamp and the lighthouse: Joseph Weizenbaum, contextualizing the critic - Zachary Loeb
2.     Artificial stupidity - Michael Falk
3.     The science of artificial intelligence and its critics<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/03080188.2020.1840821> (open access) - Harry Collins
4.     Good governance as a response to discontents? Déjà vu, or lessons for AI from other emerging technologies<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/03080188.2020.1840220>  (open access) - Inga Ulnicane, Damian Okaibedi Eke, William Knight, George Ogoh and Bernd Carsten Stahl
5.     Beyond ‘AI for Social Good’ (AI4SG): social transformations—not tech-fixes—for health equity - Cheryl Holzmeyer
6.     Don’t touch my stuff: historicising resistance to AI and algorithmic computer technologies in medicine - Ariane Hanemaayer
7.     Clinical translation of computational brain models: understanding the salience of trust in clinician–researcher relationships - S. Datta Burton , T. Mahfoud, C. Aicardi and N. Rose
8.     Truth from the machine: artificial intelligence and the materialization of identity - Os Keyes, Zoë Hitzig and Mwenza Blell
9.     Can artificial intelligence be decolonized? - Rachel Adams
10.   Ethnographic artificial intelligence - Alan F. Blackwell
PS - If your institution doesn’t provide access to this journal and you’d like read any of the pieces, you can find a copy of the whole issue on my webpage (http://www.shunryugarvey.com/publications/)

Yours,
Shunryu Colin Garvey

———