[SIGCIS-Members] Bush's rapid selector--photo documentation?

Bernard Geoghegan bernardgeoghegan2010 at u.northwestern.edu
Wed Sep 23 00:33:43 PDT 2020

Hi Brian, colleagues,

Thanks for the tip, I’ll look it up. A couple other members reminded me off-list of Colin Burke and his book “Information and Secrecy: Vannevar Bush, Ultra, and the Other Memex,” which has some visual documentation, and some possible archives to follow up on. (And Colin just pointed me towards another source--if I could somehow reach archives during the pandemic).

Just by way of trivial, per the other device you mention, the Memex, the relationship between the two is interesting. Burke writes “The Selector was the closest Bush ever came to building a Memex, but it has attracted much less attention than his proposed association machine.” Of the protoype finally built, he wrote “The machine that emerged in 1940 was certainly not the desk size and affordable apparatus that Bush envisioned in the early 1930s. Its heart was a typical seven foot high relay rack which housed the film drives, scanner, and reproduction apparatus. Electronics took another cabinet. The modified electric typewriter for preparing the abstracts, which used long rolls of paper advanced by a special stepping mechanism, was itself the size of a desk.”

Thanks, all, for the help!  Stay well,

Bernard Dionysius Geoghegan

Senior Lecturer in the History and Theory of Digital Media

Chair of the UG Assessment Board, Digital Culture

www.bernardg.com

Department of Digital Humanities

King's College London

The Strand Building