[SIGCIS-Members] Request for biographies

Jeffrey Mathias jm2499 at cornell.edu
Fri Sep 4 10:48:43 PDT 2020

Not to throw yet another title at an already overflowing list but Tara
Abraham's biography of Warren McCulloch "Rebel Genius" is quite excellent
and well worth a read. Also, Helene Mialet's "Hawking Incorporated" can be
read really usefully as a new method for doing biography.

Jeff

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 1:25 PM Ceruzzi, Paul <CeruzziP at si.edu> wrote:

> Sorry if this response is too much.  There are a lot of biographies about
> computer pioneers, but less so "computer scientists." I've left off
> autobiographies & memoirs but can supply a list if you wish.  The following
> biographies tend to skew older, which is fine with me. Warning:  the
> quality does vary:
>
> Paul Ceruzzi
> ______________________________
>
> Aspray
>
> William
>
> John von Neumann and the Origins of Modern Computing
>
> Austrian
>
> Geoffrey
>
> Herman Hollerith: Forgotten Giant of Information Processing
>
> Belden,
>
> Thomas and Marva
>
> Lengthening Shadow, the: the life of Thomas J, Watson
>
> Berlin
>
> Leslie
>
> Man behind the microchip, the: Robert Noyce and the Invention of Silicon
> Valley
>
> Buxton
>
> H.W.
>
> Memoir of the Life and Labours of the Late Charles Babbage ESQ. F.R.S.
>
> Cohen
>
> I. Bernard
>
> Howard Aiken: Portrait of a Computer Pioneer
>
> Berg
>
> Christian
>
> Heinz Nixdorf: Eine Biographie [in German]
>
> Hodges
>
> Andrew
>
> Alan Turing: The enigma: the extraordinary story of the brilliant
> scientist…
>
> Hyman
>
> Anthony
>
> Charles Babbage: Pioneer of the Computer
>
> Macrae
>
> Norman
>
> John von Neumann: The Scientific Genius Who Pioneered the Modern Computer,
> Game Theory, Nuclear Deterrence, and Much More
>
> Manes
>
> Stephen
>
> Gates: How Microsoft's Mogul Reinvented an Industry - and Made Himself the
> Richest Man in America
>
> Mollenhoff
>
> Clark R.
>
> Atanasoff: Forgotten Father of the Computer
>
> Reid
>
> Constance
>
> Hilbert
>
> Rodgers
>
> William
>
> Think: A Biography of the Watsons and IBM
>
> Smiley
>
> Jane
>
> The Man Who Invented the Computer: The Biography of John Atanasoff,
> Digital Pioneer
>
> Toole
>
> Betty Alexandra
>
> Ada: The Enchantress of Numbers - Prophet of the Computer Age
>

> Van Dormael
>
> Armand
>
> Heinz Nixdorf: A German Computer Pioneer
>
> Wallace
>
> James
>
> Hard Drive: Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire

> [...]

Jeffrey Mathias
AHA/NASA History of Space Technology Fellow
PhD Candidate
Department of Science and Technology Studies
Cornell University
jeffreymathias.info