[SIGCIS-Members] Request for biographies

Alex Ramirez AlexRamirez at CUNET.CARLETON.CA
Thu Sep 3 10:16:14 PDT 2020

Troy,

I constantly refer to

Zachary, G. P. (1999). Endless Frontier: Vannevar Bush, Engineer of the American Century, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press

Alex

From: Members <members-bounces at lists.sigcis.org> On Behalf Of Troy Astarte
Sent: September 3, 2020 7:31 AM
To: members <members at sigcis.org>
Subject: [SIGCIS-Members] Request for biographies

[External Email]
Dear SIG-CIS,

What is your favourite biography of a scientist or mathematician? I’m particularly interested in modern subjects and those who worked in computing/computer science. Ideally the book would cover the subject’s work in a reasonable level of technical detail as well as their life and the broader context in which they lived and worked.

I ask because I am considering applying for funding for an essentially biographical project on a computer scientist and I would like to read some (more) biographies first.

Best,

Troy Astarte

School of Computing
Newcastle University