[SIGCIS-Members] BBC broadcast discussion on Alan Turing

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 21:14:27 PDT 2020

Hodges talks about Turing's upper-class public-school [i.e. expensive *private* boarding school] education. What you're hearing from both Melvyn Bragg and Andrew Hodges is the accent that you get from an expensive British education including Oxford University. If it sounds to you as if they are eating their words, that's how they sound to most Brits too. Simon Schaffer seems much closer to the way I speak (what you get from a state grammar school, as tuned up by Cambridge University, my exact pedigree).

Since Turing was educated at Sherborne School followed by Cambridge, I think he'd be a bit easier to understand than Bragg or Hodges. Sadly there are no known recordings of his voice.

Leslie Ann Goldberg seems to have a slightly North American accent. Since she was educated at Rice, but has spent many years in the UK, that computes.

It's a pretty good podcast, but no news. A slight shame that they didn't have an engineer there to comment on him as a computer designer.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter