[SIGCIS-Members] book announcement: Artificial Whiteness

Joris van Zundert joris.van.zundert at huygens.knaw.nl
Mon Oct 5 12:04:42 PDT 2020

Dear Yarden,

Looks very promising and interesting! Is it possible to share the contents?
There's none on the publisher's website, alas.

Thanks, all the best
--Joris

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 6:10 PM Julie Cohn <cohnconnor at gmail.com> wrote:

> This promises to be an important book! Thank you for sharing the
> announcement and congratulations!!
>

> On Sep 15, 2020, at 1:31 PM, Dr. Joy Lisi Rankin <drjoy at joyrankin.com>
> wrote:
>
> Dear Yarden,
>
> Congratulations on your book! I’m very happy to see this out in the world.
> It’s an important and sorely needed contribution to how we think about
> race, gender, technology, and power — all the more resonant at this moment
> when there’s a dire lack of diversity in tech and there are global protests
> against white supremacy and the harmful logics of policing and carceral
> technologies. I’m ordering my copy right away.
>
> Congratulations once again!
> Warm regards,
> Joy
>

> Joy Lisi Rankin, PhD
> she/her/hers
> Research Scholar @ NYU
> Research Lead for Gender, Race, and Power in AI
> AI Now Institute @ NYU
> www.joyrankin.com
>

> On September 13, 2020 at 2:04:09 PM, Yarden Katz (yarden.katz at gmail.com)
> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I hope everyone is as well as can be these days. I thought some here might
> be interested in my book, *Artificial Whiteness*
> <https://cup.columbia.edu/book/artificial-whiteness/9780231194914>, about
> white supremacy and artificial intelligence, which will be out this fall.
>
> Best,
>
> Yarden

Drs. Joris J. van Zundert
Researcher & Developer in Humanities Computing

Dept. of Literary Studies
Huygens Institute for the History of the Netherlands
Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences

joris.van.zundert at huygens.knaw.nl
@jorisvanzundert
+31624461051

https://jorisvanzundert.net/
https://www.huygens.knaw.nl/vanzundert/?lang=en

visiting address
Oudezijds Achterburgwal 185
1012 DK  Amsterdam
The Netherlands

postal address
P.O. Box 10855
1001 EW  Amsterdam
The Netherlands

--
Jack Sparrow: I thought you were supposed to keep to the code.
Mr. Gibbs: We figured they were more actual guidelines.