[SIGCIS-Members] [updated cfp] Histories of Computing in Asia workshop

Christopher Leslie chrisleslienyc at hotmail.com
Thu May 7 07:01:05 PDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,

Even though the future is hard to predict, the consensus of IFIP Working Group 9.7 and the program committee is that we should go ahead with our December workshop. The initial interest in our workshop has been keen, and it seems that now more than ever we should maintain our commitment to international scholarship.

Ultimately, I think the decision about the fate of the workshop should be made by the participants, based on the advice of our host. Thus, our program committee will start reviewing draft papers as we previously announced on June 1 and we will hope to have a roster of papers announced by September. At that time, we will confer with all parties involved to decide what is the best and safest way for everyone to proceed. It seems possible that some will be able to attend an in-person meeting, and other will prefer to make remote presentations. If in fact the group wishes to postpone the conference to 2021, we can consider that, too.

If you would like to participate in the workshop, but you do not think you will be ready to submit your paper by June 1, please let me know. Additionally, if you have any concerns about the workshop in advance of submitting a draft paper, please reach out.

These are trying times, and I appreciate everyone’s patience and support. With that lengthy preamble, I am pasting an abbreviated CFP below. More information, including a form to upload your draft paper, is available at http://ifipwg97.org/

Sincerely,

Chris Leslie
Chair, IFIP Working Group 9.7: History of Computing
Lecturer, South China University of Technology

Final Call for Papers

HISTORIES OF COMPUTING IN ASIA

SOUTH CHINA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
GUANGZHOU • DECEMBER 2020

Draft papers are now being accepted for the next meeting of IFIP’s Working Group 9.7, which we hope will be held from 4 to 8 December 2020. Hosted by the South China University of Technology (SCUT) in Guangzhou, China, our proposed workshop will bring together international and Chinese academic researchers, public historians, and industry professionals who are interested in the history of computing.

The ongoing coronavirus pandemic has created many uncertainties. Because our workshop is not scheduled until the end of the year, we have decided to proceed with the review of papers as planned, and we will confer with the authors of accepted papers about their ability to travel in the fall. We hope it will be possible to hold the conference in person, but we recognize that for some participants, this may be impossible or uncomfortable. We will discuss alternative arrangements, such as allowing remote presentations or postponing the workshop, in September with the authors of the accepted papers.

THEMES

The theme of the workshop is histories of computing in Asia, with a particular emphasis on contextualizing China’s success in computing. The program committee will consider any paper in line with this theme, but we are particularly interested in topics such as:
China, Asia, and Beyond. The rapid rise of Chinese computing
Internationalism. Frameworks that foster multinational cooperation and innovation
Science and Technology Studies. History and philosophy of technology, from east to west
Pedagogy. Teaching the history of computing in or about Asia
Public History and Imagination. Remembering and presenting histories of computing
More details about the CFP, guidelines for papers, and a form to upload your draft paper for consideration is available at: http://ifipwg97.org/workshops/hca2020/ <http://ifipwg97.org/workshops/hca2020/>

REVIEW PROCESS

Academic and amateur historians, computing and informatics professionals, archivists, and museum curators are welcome to submit papers to be considered for this workshop. Following our typical practice, we will ask for full papers for anonymous peer review by a program committee. Accepted papers must be revised according to the comments of the peer reviewers. In order to provide for a lively discussion at the workshop, we will distribute draft papers to participants in advance.

After the workshop, authors will have the chance to incorporate feedback from the audience before preparing their final versions. These will be considered for inclusion in the volume of edited, selected papers, which will be published by Springer-Nature in the IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology series. The official language of the workshop and the printed proceedings is English.

IMPORTANT DATES
1 May to 1 June 2020: Draft papers accepted for consideration by the Program Committee
1 September 2020: Comments from Program Committee, decisions, and invitations sent to authors
4 November 2020: Collection of papers, revised based on reviewer comments and using Springer template, for distribution to workshop participants
4 December 2020: Participants arrive in Guangzhou, China
13 January 2021: Revised papers due for consideration in proceedings volume, which will be published by Springer
Enquires in advance of your submission may be addressed to the conference chair, Christopher Leslie, at <hca2020workshop at outlook.com <mailto:hca2020workshop at outlook.com>>.