[SIGCIS-Members] Coding vs programing (starting a new thread)

McMillan, William W william.mcmillan at cuaa.edu
Wed May 6 06:15:01 PDT 2020

Mary Shaw's work was one of my main anchors in SE. I didn't see it as aspirational, but rather inspirational, a picture of what SE was to become. Alas, the vision she had for the melding of craft and science into engineering of software, remains aspirational.

Examples of software tinkerers messing with civilization, or at least with a slice of humanity, are all too common, I'm afraid, most often in the area of security. E.g, the self-taught developer who creates a website for a local diner, including online ordering (apparently low consequence?), can expose credit card numbers, employees' social security numbers, etc., and can allow a hijacker to employ the diner's server as a spam-delivery platform or worse.

(A personal/vanity note: Annette, my mother was a graduate of U. Pittsburgh, majoring in English, and Carnegie Tech, Library Science. Later she enlisted in the U.S. Navy during WWII and served as a DEcoder of encrypted enemy messages. Maybe a good example of the generality of literacy?)

- Bill