[SIGCIS-Members] Programmer vs. coder vs. sofware developer vs. software engineer

thomas.haigh at gmail.com thomas.haigh at gmail.com
Tue May 5 14:18:59 PDT 2020

Here is a sneak preview of our coverage of that story from chapter 13 of the
revised History of Modern Computing. As obsessive list-watchers may
remember, I've been working with Paul Ceruzzi on a new edition of his
classic overview history. The book is about to enter copyediting and
production at MIT Press. (more on the project at
https://www.mediacoop.uni-siegen.de/wp-content/uploads/Working-Paper-Series-
No-3.pdf)

The effect of all these new tools was to make the development of a major
interactive website a much cheaper and faster proposition in the 2010s than
it was in the 1990s, despite the enormously greater complexity of modern
websites. This put a huge premium on programmers able to work with the
particular blend of technologies needed for a project. Startups particularly
prized the "full stack developer" whose skills extended from operating
systems through databases, server code, and browser-based code, to interface
design, requirements analysis, and project management. Such creatures were
rare, some said almost non-existent, but the search for them signaled a
shift from the old corporate model of systems development with large,
specialized teams.

The shift was accompanied by a tendency of skilled programmers to identify
as "coders," and a new industry of "coding boot camps." Back in the 1950s
"coding" had been identified as the most routine, and worst paid, aspect of
programming. That work was soon automated by software tools and the job
title dwindled during the 1960s. Title inflation followed - programmers were
called "analysts" or "software engineers". The programming staff at firms
like Google are usually called engineers, despite efforts by the engineering
professions to reserve the word for people with actual engineering
credentials. The word "architect" was eventually applied to almost every
part of the system development process, perhaps spurred by design expert Don
Norman's high profile appointment as Apple's "User Experience Architect" in
1993. This similarly enraged real architects. According to a 2010 report,
the "down economy has only sharpened their displeasure, as thousands of un-
and underemployed architects sift through job listings for software
architects, systems architects, data architects, and information architects:
in short, every kind of 'architect' except their own kind."[i]

"Coder," in contrast, was an aggressively unpretentious identify celebrating
the practical business of sticking together computer instructions. Perhaps
IT development work has now reached a level of pay and respect that efforts
to appropriate job titles from better established professions will no longer
be necessary. A New Yorker article from 2014 suggested that elite developers
were the new rock stars or professional athletes, able to earn huge sums
negotiated by slick agents.[ii]

Tom