[SIGCIS-Members] Programmer vs. coder vs. sofware developer vs. software engineer

Nathan Ensmenger nathan.ensmenger at gmail.com
Mon May 4 14:50:52 PDT 2020

Bill — I write quite a bit about the transition from coder —> programmer,
and about the attempt to organize around the concept of software
engineering in my book *The Computer Boys Take Over: Computers,
Programmers, and the Politics of Technical Expertise.*   I agree that
titles matter.   Since most libraries are closed at the moment, I will send
you the most relevant chapters in a separate email.

-Nathan

---
Nathan Ensmenger
Chair, Informatics
School of Informatics, Computing and Engineering
Indiana University, Bloomington
homes.soic.indiana.edu/nensmeng/