[SIGCIS-Members] eBay is selling an Apple 1 for $1.5 million

LO*OP CENTER, INC. lizaloop at loopcenter.org
Fri Jul 31 21:33:48 PDT 2020

I feel like I ought to say something in response to this thread but I'm not
sure what. Do you-all think the first Apple 1 should be worth more than the
others? Pricing collectables is sooooo difficult.

Cheers,

Liza

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 4:13 PM Deborah Douglas <ddouglas at mit.edu> wrote:

> For those who are curious here are some of the prices paid for Apple 1
> computers in the past 6 years.
>
> 2014: $910,000 (Charity auction)
> https://www.cultofmac.com/498888/apple-history-celebration-apple-1-auction/
> 2016: $815,000 (Charity auction)
> https://www.cultofmac.com/498888/apple-history-celebration-apple-1-auction/
> 2018: $375,000
> https://www.cnet.com/news/rare-apple-1-sells-at-auction-for-over-500-times-original-price/
> 2019: $470,000
> https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/28/wozniak-built-apple-1-computer-sold-for-almost-500000-at-christies.html
> 2020: $458,711.25.
> https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/03/13/rare-functional-apple-1-computer-sold-at-auction-for-458711
>
> Debbie Douglas
>

> On Jul 31, 2020, at 6:24 PM, mike at willegal.net wrote:
>
> I talked to Krishna a few years ago.  I don’t think he is unhinged, but I
> can’t imagine any Apple 1 fetching that price, even though it appears to be
> one of the nicer survivors.  It’s funny, when I first became interested in
> Apple 1s, condition mattered little, but now the market has evolved to the
> point where condition seems to matter.  Note that the Henry Ford Museum
> paid around 1 million dollars for an Apple 1 several years ago, though that
> price hasn’t been approached since.
>
> Regards,
> Mike Willegal
>
> On Jul 31, 2020, at 4:05 PM, <thomas.haigh at gmail.com> <
> thomas.haigh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> https://www.ebay.com/i/174195921349. There is at least a “Make offer”
> button.
>
> I have to say that this is more than a little unhinged, possibly a further
> sign (as if one were needed) of the approach of the end times. Though I did
> recently pay $250 for a working Apple IIe with disk drives and monitor.
> Simple mathematics suggests for a Bezos, Musk or Zuckerberg this would be a
> very much smaller purchase relative to net worth.
>
> Full description at
> http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=174195921349&category=162075&pm=1&ds=0&t=1582079090000&ver=0
>
> Also an entry in the Apple 1 registry (which of course):
> https://www.apple1registry.com/en/79.html.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Tom

> *Deborah G. Douglas, PhD *• Director of Collections and Curator of
> Science and Technology, MIT Museum; Research Associate, Program in Science,
> Technology, and Society • Room N51-209 • 265 Massachusetts Avenue •
> Cambridge, MA 02139-4307 • ddouglas at mit.edu • 617-253-1766 telephone •
> 617-253-8994 facsimile • http://mitmuseum.mit.edu • she/her/hers

Liza Loop
Executive Director, LO*OP Center, Inc.
Guerneville, CA 95446
www.loopcenter.org
650 619 1099 (between 8 am and 10 pm Pacific time only please)