[SIGCIS-Members] Was email really already 75% of ARPANET traffic by 1973?

thomas.haigh at gmail.com thomas.haigh at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 13:22:44 PDT 2020

Great! So that gets us closer to an actual source for the claim, and also moves the year.

Thanks to Dave Walden I've received some off-list input from Dave Crocker, Vint Cerf and Dan Lynch. They think that email would have been a majority of bytes sent over the network by the end of 1973 (though possible not a majority of packets as telnet would produce a lot of largely empty packets). But they don't recall an actual study.

The figure is also in Wikipedia, without a real source, so I'm acutely aware that it's one of those factoids that historians and journalists will find somewhere like Wikipedia or the Hobbes Timeline and then copy, thus creating a "reliable source" that Wikipedia can then cite to support the information. It's like a time paradox.

Tom