[SIGCIS-Members] Help on Coffee and Computing

Magnus Boman mabmab at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 07:01:54 PDT 2020

Jim,
Coffee was always, at least since it turned into a conference proper,
essential at TED. I dare mention this conference since "the people that
built the Internet" used to be there. At the last Monterey TED, or possibly
the first Long Beach one, The Barista Guild got a couple of stands with
excellent proto-hipster espresso. Guild members were not only ace coffee
makers but also followed all the talks on monitors, so you could discuss
coffee AND less serious stuff with them. With an 18-hour daily programme,
their coffee sure helped.

Making espresso is also a near-perfect percolation process, so it would
appeal to all of us that simulate forest fires, epidemics, etc., also at
the surface/syntactic level. It all just makes sense, really.
M.