[SIGCIS-Members] Help on Coffee and Computing

Hintz, Eric HintzE at si.edu
Tue Jul 21 06:31:38 PDT 2020

Hi SIGCIS-

I’ve loved seeing all the great responses to James’s query re: coffee culture.  I immediately thought of Hewlett Packard’s twice daily coffee breaks as described in David Packard’s, The HP Way<https://www.amazon.com/HP-Way-Hewlett-Business-Essentials/dp/0060845791> (1995).   Re: ephemera, it looks like there are also pamphlets like “The HP way…”<https://www.hpalumni.org/HPWayBooklet1980.pdf> (1980) preserved at hpalumni.org that describe the coffee breaks. I would love to hear more from Chuck House or other HP alums about this.  Back in career 1.0 as a Bay Area IT consultant in the late 1990s, early 2000s, I can attest that HP and Agilent sites in and around Sunnyvale, Cupertino had outstanding break areas, with coffee machines and hot water, all the coffee, tea bags, sugar, creamer, and little straw stirrers you could want!

I suspect there is a military angle here too. I am thinking of military computer operators attending to missile early warning systems on three shifts, 24/7, and needing coffee to stay alert.

Best-
Eric
Eric S. Hintz, PhD, Historian, Lemelson Center
Office +1 202-633-3734 | Mobile +1 610-717-7134 |Fax +1 202-633-4593
Email hintze at si.edu<mailto:hintze at si.edu> | americanhistory.si.edu<http://www.americanhistory.si.edu/> | invention.si.edu<http://www.invention.si.edu/>

Co-editor, Does America Need More Innovators?<https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/does-america-need-more-innovators> (MIT Press, 2019)