[SIGCIS-Members] Help on Coffee and Computing

Kevin Driscoll kdriscoll at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jul 20 14:52:40 PDT 2020

Hello Jim and SIGCIS,

Two references come to mind:

1. The "Trojan Room coffee pot" at the U of Cambridge is often cited as the
first live camera on the web:
- Quentin Stafford-Fraser, “On Site: The Life and Times of the First Web
Cam,” Communications of the ACM 44, no. 7 (July 1, 2001): 25–26.
https://doi.org/10.1145/379300.379327.
- Full text of above without paywall:
https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/coffee/qsf/cacm200107.html
- Captured by the Wayback Machine on 10 December 1997:
http://web.archive.org/web/19971210230542/http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/coffee/coffee.html

2. Roy Levin of Microsoft Research published a paper about running an
industry lab in which he recommends that managers "INSTALL A WORLD-CLASS
COFFEE MACHINE" and notes that "the first capital purchase" at MSR-Silicon
Valley was an espresso machine.
- Roy Levin, “A Perspective on Computing Research Management,” ACM SIGOPS
Operating Systems Review 41, no. 2 (April 1, 2007): 3–9,
https://doi.org/10.1145/1243418.1243420.

I've heard other lore about coffee culture at Microsoft that involves the
proximity of Starbucks in the 1990s. Allegedly, management lobbied for
coffee carts in every building to keep programmers from driving to
off-campus coffeehouses. No cite for that one but it would be fun to track
down the origin of the story.

Looking forward to a caffeinated special issue of the Annals on the
transnational history of stimulants and computing.

Best of luck,

Kevin Driscoll
U of Virginia