[SIGCIS-Members] Help on Coffee and Computing

James Cortada jcortada at umn.edu
Mon Jul 20 12:41:41 PDT 2020

The IT community of users, programmers, vendors, etc have for decades had a
reputation for being extensive consumers of coffee. In some parts of the IT
ecosystem, especially among those who work odd hours, such as programmers,
computer operators, and vendor field engineers.  I am studying the
corporate ephemera of this industry and its cultural attachments, such as
coffee cups and what they tell us about computing.  Do any of you have any
information, ephemera, or sources and citations on this specific issue of
coffee and computing?  I can get many industry folks, such as IBM retirees,
to wax eloquently on the subject in their private FB accounts, but that is
not enough.  Corporate culture is tough to study.  Thanks in advance for
your help.  Jim
--
James W. Cortada
Senior Research Fellow