[SIGCIS-Members] Invention of LSFR random number algorithm

Maarten Bullynck maarten.bullynck at kuttaka.org
Wed Jan 8 03:37:23 PST 2020

Dear Stefan,

The earliest LSFR for random number generation was developed
theoretically by Duparc and Lekkerkerker at the Mathematisch Centrum in
Amsterdam (1953), and, independently by S.W. Golomb working for Martin
Co. and Jet Propulsion Laboratory (1954-1956), though others around that
same time, Neal Zierler at MIT or E.N. Gilbert at Bell Labs, had been
working on the topic too.
The very earliest instance of the addition principle for generating
random numbers is J.H. Lambert in 1771, see:
https://images.math.cnrs.fr/L-histoire-de-l-informatique-et-l-histoire-des-mathematiques-rencontres.html?lang=fr

best wishes,

Maarten Bullynck