[SIGCIS-Members] zoom censorship

Alexandre Hocquet alexandre.hocquet at univ-lorraine.fr
Mon Dec 7 15:14:46 PST 2020

Dear SIGCISers,

As scholars once designed email and mailing lists for their
communication needs as open protocols and are now surrendering their
computer-mediated communication tools to proprietary platforms 40 years
later, I thought the piece I just wrote on that matter would be of in
interest on this list. I argue that the "absurdist" situation according
to one of the academics involved in the "Zoom censorship" turmoil is a
direct consequence of this giving away.

My piece in The Conversation was first in French on focused on how the
Renater national infrastructure gave up on offering open
videoconferencing services to French academics during the pandemic
online panic. The English version rather builds on the "Zoom censorship"
event that sparked outrage in the academic community as a very good
example of the issues at stake.

https://theconversation.com/debate-is-open-scholarship-even-possible-with-zoom-149293

Articles in The Conversation are published under a CC-BY-ND license, so
any media outlet interested in republishing is very welcome. Ads usual,
apologies for cross posting,

Alexandre Hocquet
Archives Henri Poincaré & Science History Institute
Alexandre.Hocquet at univ-lorraine.fr
https://www.sciencehistory.org/profile/alexandre-hocquet
https://poincare.univ-lorraine.fr/fr/membre-titulaire/alexandre-hocquet