[SIGCIS-Members] Data on Bitnet

Wernsdorf Kathrin kathrin.wernsdorf at ip.mpg.de
Tue Aug 25 09:07:27 PDT 2020

Hello everyone,

My coauthors and I are currently working on a project measuring the impact of Bitnet on academic patenting. After the adoption of Bitnet by a university between 1981 and 1990, we find a substantial increase in patenting by university-affiliated researchers. We are now wondering why this is the case.

Reading about Bitnet, we came across the fact that email lists were an especially popular item. We think it would be fascinating to know the content of these email lists. Do you happen to know whether data on these email lists exists and is available somewhere? Also, do you know whether some archives of listserves or discussion groups exist where users discussed for what they used Bitnet and what challenges they faced?

Any thoughts and hints are highly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Kathrin
Kathrin Wernsdorf
Doctoral Student and Junior Research Fellow

Max Planck Institute for Innovation and Competition
Marstallplatz 1
80539 München
kathrin.wernsdorf at ip.mpg.de<mailto:kathrin.wernsdorf at ip.mpg.de>
www.ip.mpg.de<http://www.ip.mpg.de/>