[SIGCIS-Members] Is it a myth that David Letterman had a Top Ten List about the Pentium bug?

Paul Ivanov pi at berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 14 19:08:24 PDT 2020

Ellen Spertus, on 2020-08-14 15:00,  wrote:
> I remain skeptical, because of the information (and absence of
> information) that I cite, but I think I should drop it if David
> Patterson is adamant that it happened.It's not a matter of
> great historic importance, just a minor curiosity.

I think your scepticism is well placed, Ellen, and the Royal
Society motto "Nullius in verba" ("Take nobody's word for it")
certainly comes to mind.

I took the liberty of contacting Don Giller, an authoritative
Letterman archivist (see
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/06/fashion/mens-style/david-letterman-late-show-don-giller.html>
or
<https://donzblog.home.blog/2019/09/26/my-letterman-databases/>
) and he categorically rejects the existence of a Pentium bug
Top Ten list from the show.

As nice of a story as it would have been to have floating point
humour in the late night show cannon,  it seems that this one
isn't true.

Don Giller, on 2020-08-15 00:27,  wrote:
> Hi, Paul,
>
> First, thanks for the twitter follow. Appreciated!
>
> Second, nope, no Top Ten List, ever.
>
> The only mention of the Pentium issue was during his monologue
> on December 15, 1994:
>
> "You know, you know what you can do if you have any of those
> defective Pentium computer chips? You know what I’m talking
> about? If you have any of those defective Pentium computer
> chips, get yourself some defective Pentium salsa, uhmm! I’m
> telling you, unbelievable! Knock yourself out."
>
> Don

best,
--
                   _