[SIGCIS-Members] Invitation to: Data & Society Welcome Week

Executive Assistant ea at datasociety.net
Tue Sep 3 09:22:17 PDT 2019

Hello,

We are reaching out to invite you to our first Data & Society Welcome Week,
a series of events on September 10 and 11, 2019 to introduce you to our
organization, our community and our work.

If you've never heard of us before, Data & Society
<https://datasociety.net/> is a New York City based independent nonprofit
research institute that advances public understanding of the social
implications of data-centric technologies and automation.

The week will feature a talk by Sareeta Amrute, Director of Research,
and Research
Analyst, Emanuel Moss. We will conclude with a Community Open House for a
chance to interact with our researchers
<https://datasociety.net/people/researchers/>, staff members
<https://datasociety.net/people/staff/>, and discover upcoming opportunities.
This is a great way for you to learn more about what we do and the multiple
pathways into our expanding network.

Come see how our scholars frame conversations about the implications of
data-centric technologies and gain insights into Data & Society’s ongoing
research initiatives and projects.
[image: open-house-image.jpg]

PATHWAYS FOR PARTICIPATION

1

[Research Talk] Toward a Language for Computing from/in the Global South,
Or, How to Decolonize with a Slash

Speaker:  Sareeta Amrute <https://datasociety.net/people/amrute-sareeta/>,
Director of Research

Date & Time: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 | 3-4 PM EST

RSVP <https://welcomeweek_researchtalk.eventbrite.com/>

* Please note that we have limited capacity and can only accommodate 25
attendees for this talk.

2

[Research Talk] The Promises and Limitations of the "Empirical Turn" in AI
Ethics Speaker: Alexa Hagerty
<https://anthropology.stanford.edu/people/alexa-hagerty>, Anthropologist &
Founder of Dovetail Labs

Hosted by: Emanuel Moss <https://datasociety.net/people/moss-emmanuel/>,
Research Analyst

Date & Time: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 | 1-2 PM EST

RSVP <https://sgs_empiricalturn_aiethics.eventbrite.com/>

* Please note that we have limited capacity and can only accommodate 25
attendees for this talk.

3

[Evening Event] D&S Community Open House

Date & Time: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 | 5 - 8 PM EST

RSVP <https://welcomeweek_openhouse.eventbrite.com/>

Light refreshments and beverages will be served.

------------------------------

All Welcome Week events will take place at our office located at:

36 W 20th St. Floor 11 New York, NY 10011

For building entry please use the intercom to dial 011 and press “CALL”.

------------------------------
Black, Indigenous, LGBTQIA, and members of other historically marginalized
communities including people with disabilities are strongly welcome to
attend and be a part of our growing community.

Please check in with us if you have wheelchair accessibility needs at
events at datasociety.net

We look forward to welcoming you to our space!

If you have any questions about D&S Welcome Week please write to
welcomeweek at datasociety.net.

Sincerely,

Sareeta Amrute, Director of Research

Toyia Phillips, Human Resources Manager