[SIGCIS-Members] Internet traffic in northern Virginia

Brian Berg brianberg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 15:55:25 PDT 2019

I conferred with Jen Snow <jensnow47 at gmail.com> of SOFWERX
<https://www.sofwerx.org/> on this question.  She confirmed this number,
and even said that it is growing.  She pointed me to this site:
  https://biz.loudoun.gov/key-business-sectors/data-centers/
for a little perspective on this:

Loudoun County’s “Data Center Alley” is the world’s largest concentration
of data centers, with nearly 13.5 million square feet currently in
operation and another 4.5 million square feet being planned or developed.

More than 70 percent of the world’s internet traffic passes through
Loudoun’s digital infrastructure, making us a key player in the world’s
technology economy. Read more about data centers’ impact in the Data Center
Study
<http://www.nvtc.org/documents/advocacy/NVTC__DataCenter_Report_011316_final_lowres.pdf>
.
_________________________
Brian A. Berg / bberg at StanfordAlumni.org
Berg Software Design
14500 Big Basin Way, Suite F, Saratoga, CA 95070 USA
Voice: 408.741.5010 / Cell: 408.568.2505
Consulting: Flash Memory/USB/Storage/Patents
visit the Storage Cornucopia: www.bswd.com
FMS Technical Chair: www.FlashMemorySummit.com
IEEE Milestone
<http://www.ieeeghn.org/wiki/index.php/Milestones:List_of_IEEE_Milestones>
Coordinator and History Chair for Region 6 <http://www.ieee-region6.org/>
IEEE SCV Section <http://www.ieee.org/scv/> Past Chair / IEEE-CNSV
<http://www.CaliforniaConsultants.org> Board Director
IEEE Silicon Valley Tech History Committee
<http://www.SiliconValleyHistory.com/> Chair