[SIGCIS-Members] New titles Springer History of Computing and a treat to SIGCIS

Alberts, Gerard G.Alberts at uva.nl
Tue Oct 1 02:39:01 PDT 2019

Dear colleagues,
Please join me in congratuling Bill Aspray in having his Flatirons Lectures book out, Historical Studies in Computing, Information, and Society<https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030189549>.
Simultanuously with Jeff Yost joining me as editor in the Springer History of Computing Series<https://www.springer.com/series/8442>, 2019 is an exceptionally productive year:
Bill Aspray and Jim Cortada wrote From Urban Legends to Political Fact-Checking; Online Scrutiny in America, 1990-2015<https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030229511>.
Simon Lavington brought Early Computing in Britain; Ferranti Ltd. and Government Funding, 1948 — 1958<https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030151027>.
Tom Haigh's Exploring the Early Digital<https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030021511> appears jointly in our series and Springer's Media of Cooperation.
Recent titles of interest outside our series:
Liesbeth de Mol and Giuseppe Primiero, Reflections on Programming Systems<https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319972251>; and edited by Chris Leslie and Martin Schmitt, Histories of Computing in Eastern Europe.<https://www.springer.com/cn/book/9783030291594>

SHOT in Milan:
For new ideas and book plans do join me or Springer's Wayne Wheeler at SHOT in Milan later this month. Or just mail me or Jeff Yost off list.

More good news concerning the old fashioned trade of buying bundles of printed paper:
thanks to Wayne Wheeler's diplomacy, prices of the History of Computing books have come within reach of mortals. The best price you can get is when your university library is subscribing to a Springer package: in that case you may order your print on demand copy for 25 (in several currencies)

Autumn discount:
Springer has decided extend its usual conference discount to all SIGCIS list member and to cover the whole of the autumn. STARTING TODAY

·         SIGCIS list members can receive a 20% discount on titles purchased from https://www.springer.com/shop by entering the code 20DIY194 during their order

·         This discount is valid from the 1st of October through to the 31st of December, and can be used to purchase both print and e-books

·         For orders of print books, free shipping

·         Authors and editors of Springer books and chapters need not worry about using this code, for they can enjoy a 40% Springer author discount (further information is available here: https://www.springer.com/gp/authors-editors/book-authors-editors/resources-guidelines/book-discounts-royalties)

·         Here is the link to the History of Computing<https://www.springer.com/series/8442> series; here is the list of titles<https://www.springer.com/series/8442?detailsPage=titles>!

Best wishes from me and  Jeff Yost,

Gerard Alberts