[SIGCIS-Members] Springer History of Computing Series--joining editorial leadership, seeking authors, upcoming volumes, and new competitive pricing

Jeffrey Yost yostx003 at umn.edu
Mon Mar 25 12:09:29 PDT 2019

Dear Colleagues,

In January 2019 I signed on to be co-Series Editor of the Springer History
of Computing Book Series, joining my distinguished colleague University of
Amsterdam's Gerard Alberts.  This series, edited in its early years by
Martin Campbell-Kelly, now has published 15 volumes, and reflective of our
specialty, it has accelerated its publishing in recent years.

Over the past half decade we have published (or are publishing/have in
press) monographs and edited volumes from William Aspray (multiple books),
Thomas Haigh, Gerard Alberts, Ruth Oldenziel, Valerie Schafer, Benjamin
Thierry, Aristotle Tympas, among others.  And the series has published
monographs/volumes on topics/themes such as the history of women in ICT,
underrepresentation of gender and race in IT, the early digital,
computation in the pre-computing era, Visa's payment system, the science of
operations/programming, and the IT cultural history/demoscenes in Europe.
We are working with a number of additional standout IT historians for books
that will soon be under contract.

I joined Gerard as co-Series Editor (after being on the board for many
years) to help further boost our recent strong momentum in adding titles
from North American authors, and while I will be recruiting particularly
from this region, and Gerard from Europe, we will both be aggressively
seeking important new works from all over the world.  We seek book
manuscripts on all types of history of IT and are especially interested in
the social (gender, race, labor, etc.), cultural/intellectual, political,
business/industrial, environmental, and technical history (and
historiography) of computers, software, and networking, as well as in
expanding our field's literature on new geographies (moving beyond our core
on the U.S. and Europe, to publish on IT history in Asia, the Middle East,
Latin America, and Africa).

We continue to welcome quality edited volumes (in addition to our focus on
single/co-authored books) and have two coming out this year. Ready for
pre-orders and shipping in a few months, Thomas Haigh, ed. *The Early
Digital*, has chapters from Ron Kline, Martin Campbell-Kelly, Paul Ceruzzi,
Ksenia Tatarchenko, and other top scholars. And out later this year is
William Aspray's edited volume from the Flatiron Lectures on Computing,
Information, and Society, which has chapters by thought leaders Jennifer
Light, JoAnne Yates, Ron Kline, and Greg Downey, among others.

I am also thrilled to announce that in 2018 Springer revised its pricing
model (and the series has re-priced back to 2016) to now price hardcover
books in the $35 to $45 (32 to 42 Euro) range, highly competitive with
other leading academic presses.  Springer's reputation as a top academic
publisher and strong global presence (with headquarters in Berlin and major
offices in NYC, Paris, Milan, London, Tokyo, Delhi, etc. and a publication
catalogue of over 300,000 books since 1842) helps to further the visibility
and esteem of your scholarship.

We strive for highly efficient peer-review and relatively short in
press/wait times for publishing completed and accepted manuscripts.

If you have a manuscript or an idea for one (most books in the series are
in the 70,000 to 120,000 word range), I look forward to hearing from you.
You can contact either myself or Gerard.

Springer History of Computing Series URL
https://www.springer.com/series/8442?detailsPage=titles

[Separate from this series, but also of potential interest, Gerard and I
also are co-editing SpringerBriefs in History of Computing, a series of
short books.  These are 20,000 to 50,000 word works for softcover books
roughly 50 to 110 printed pages.  If you have a ms or idea for one for a
work that might otherwise be a multi-part article (which some journals
discourage and often result in challenges with review), a longish
historiographical essay, a shorter biography ms on a main historical actor
from a longer study, or any other type of scholarly IT history work in this
size range, I encourage you to think of submitting for consideration to
SpringerBriefs in the History of Computing.  We are capable of moving the
process especially rapidly with SpringerBriefs, an expedited review
process, and after review/editing out in several months. You can contact
either of us regarding this series as well.]

Best, Jeff

Jeffrey R. Yost, Ph.D.
Director, Charles Babbage Institute
Research Professor, Program in the History of Science, Technology, and
Medicine

222  21st Avenue South
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN 55455