[SIGCIS-Members] Ernie goes Quantum

Ceruzzi, Paul CeruzziP at si.edu
Tue Mar 5 07:14:06 PST 2019

Ernie goes Quantum

Thanks, Brian, for that post about Ernie. I suppose the US counterpart might be the 1955 RAND Corporation book, _A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates_. A book that I used in graduate school for a research paper in sociology. The reviews section of the Amazon.com listing for the book have interesting comments, although the jokes get tired quickly. RAND used cosmic rays to generate the numbers, although they had trouble with an early iteration of the table, which produced digits that were not random "enough."

"Anyone who considers arithmetical methods of producing random numbers is, of course, in a state of sin." -- John von Neumann, at a 1949 conference on Monte Carlo methods.

I have a paper coming out this spring that goes into some detail about this, in Tom Haigh, ed. _Exploring the Early Digital_. <https://www.springer.com/us/book/9783030021511>.

Best,

Paul Ceruzzi
Curator Emeritus