[SIGCIS-Members] minisupercomputers and scientific computing

Alexandre Hocquet alexandre.hocquet at univ-lorraine.fr
Mon Jun 10 13:11:36 PDT 2019

Dear Sigcisers,

We're interested in writing a biography of one software package as a
history of scientific modeling project and the issue of portability of
that package to  different kinds of computers in the late eighties is
attracting our interest.
We're thus interested in literature regarding scientific computing and
computational science in the transitional era between supercomputing and
desktop computing, the period of time when such devices as
minisupercomputers have been designed.
That is why we're also specifically interested in corporations such as
"Ardent", "Alliant" and above all "Multiflow" and their relationships
with scientific software companies.
Our question to the list is twofold :
Is there some scientific litterature that would seem relevant to address
these topics, even indirectly, as a starter ?
Is there a possibility that witnesses that could share their views and
memories of those times may exist, especially regarding relations with
scientific computing software companies (and especially if they're
living on the east coast as we are currently working until the end of
July on archival material at the Science History Institute in Phladelphia) ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Alexandre Hocquet and Frederic Wieber

Alexandre Hocquet
Archives Henri Poincaré & Science History Institute
Alexandre.Hocquet at univ-lorraine.fr
https://www.sciencehistory.org/profile/alexandre-hocquet
https://poincare.univ-lorraine.fr/fr/membre-titulaire/alexandre-hocquet