[SIGCIS-Members] Workshop: Fostering Historical Research in CSCW&HCI (CSCW'19, Austin, TX, USA)

David Ribes dribes at uw.edu
Tue Jul 30 11:14:50 PDT 2019

Workshop: Fostering Historical Research in CSCW&HCI (CSCW'19, Austin, TX,
USA)

This day-long workshop aims to support and grow the community of CSCW and
HCI scholars that investigate the past to inform the design,  critique and
conceptualization of technology. At this workshop, we will  learn from
examples of historically-based CSCW and HCI work, explore  issues in
historical method that come up in such work, share methods and  techniques,
provide feedback and support to ongoing investigations; and define a shared
agenda for future research on this topic. The workshop  will also highlight
research and methods that focus on non-Western  contexts and that give
voice to historically marginalized groups. Based on the workshop, we will
develop a white paper and a website that will  collect resources to support
CSCW based historical investigations.

To apply, please send a 4-page position paper to cscwhistory at gmail.com by
September 21st 2019. Position papers should be the ACM Extended Abstract
format and take one of the following forms:

1) description of an ongoing historical research project which seeks to
make contributions to CSCW and/or HCI;

2) engagement with questions of how one or more historical methods can be
carried out in our field, including discussion of validity and evaluation
of historical research;

3) discussion of specific contributions that historical research can make
to CSCW and HCI.

The workshop will take place as part of the 22nd ACM Conference on
Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing in Austin, Texas
during November 2019. More information about the conference is here:
http://cscw.acm.org/2019/. At least one author of each accepted position
paper will be required to register for the workshop and at least one day of
the conference.

More information about this workshop can be found at:
https://cscwhistory.com.

Please email any questions to: cscwhistory at gmail.com.