[SIGCIS-Members] Book Announcement: Moonbit (Apollo 11 AGC Code & Critique)

James E. Dobson James.E.Dobson at dartmouth.edu
Sat Jul 20 15:20:38 PDT 2019

Dear SIGCIS,

Today, on the fiftieth anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon Landing,
punctum books has published Moonbit, a book of experimental poetry
created from  the Apollo 11 AGC code and a critical account of the
computer and its software co-authored by James E. Dobson and Rena J.
Mosteirin.

https://punctumbooks.com/titles/moonbit/

We gave a joint reading and talk about this project at SIGCIS 2018 in St
Louis and HaPoP 2018 in Oxford.

The book is open access (we used Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 4.0) and free
from punctum books. There is also a paperback available for $20 via Amazon.

Punctum provides a short description of the book:

Moonbit is a hybrid work comprised of experimental poetry and a critical
theory of the poetics and politics of computer code. It offers an
extended intellectual and creative engagement with the affordances of
computer software through multiple readings and re-writings of a
singular text, the source code of the Apollo 11 Guidance Computer or the
“AGC.” Moonbit re-marks and remixes the code that made space travel
possible. Half of this book is erasure poetry that uses the AGC code as
the source text, building on the premise that code can speak beyond its
functional purpose.

When we think about the 1960s U.S. space program and obscure scientific
computer code, we might not first think about the Watts riots,
Shakespeare, Winnie the Pooh, T.S. Eliot, or scatological jokes. Yet
these cultural references and influences along with many more are
scattered throughout the body of the code that powered the compact
digital computer that successfully guided astronauts to the Moon and
back and in July of 1969. Moonbit unravels and rewrites the many
embedded cultural references that were braided together within the
language resources of mid-century computer code.

Moonbit also provides a gentle, non-expert introduction to the text of
the AGC code, to digital poetics, and to critical code studies.
Outlining a capacious interpretive practice, Moonbit takes up all manner
of imaginative decodings and recodings of this code. It introduces some
of the major existing approaches to the study of code and culture while
provide multiple readings of the source code along with an explanation
and theorization of the way in which the code works, as both a
computational and a cultural text.

I hope you enjoy the book and thank you again to all in St. Louis for
your invaluable comments and feedback.

Best,

Jed & Rena

--