[SIGCIS-Members] CFA: MCMP-Western Ontario Workshop on Computation in Scientific Theory and Practice (fwd)

Allan Olley allan.olley at utoronto.ca
Tue Feb 26 13:17:04 PST 2019

Hello,
 	This conference is mostly on the philosophy of computation, but
history is one of the subjects in the call so it seems appropriate to
this group. I hope it is of interest.
 	I should have forwarded it a month ago but I was not quite sure
of its relevance. The deadline for submission of abstracts is March 17th,
2019.

MCMP-WESTERN ONTARIO WORKSHOP ON COMPUTATION IN SCIENTIFIC THEORY AND PRACTICE

Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy (MCMP), LMU Munich, Germany

May 31 - June 2, 2019

https://www.mcmp.philosophie.uni-muenchen.de/events/workshops/container/ws_comp_sci_theory_practice/index.html

CONFERENCE DESCRIPTION

The goal of this interdisciplinary meeting is to explore philosophical and
historical issues that arise at the intersection of theoretical computer
science, mathematics, and natural science, including issues that arise in the
practice of those disciplines. We welcome submissions on topics including, but
not limited to, the following: the history of computer science; the foundations
of computation and mathematical cognition; computational and informational
perspectives on scientific decision making, scientific methodology, and the
characterisation of scientific theories; physical notions of computation and
the 'Physical Church-Turing Thesis'.

CONFIRMED SPEAKERS INCLUDE

* Dan Christensen (University of Western Ontario)
* B. Jack Copeland (University of Canterbury, ETH Zurich)
* Robert Corless (University of Western Ontario)
* Walter Dean (University of Warwick)
* Benedict Eastaugh (MCMP/LMU Munich)
* Laura Felline (University of Rome 3)
* Stephan Hartmann (MCMP/LMU Munich)
* Markus Mueller (Institute for Quantum Optics and Quantum Information, Vienna)
* Wayne Myrvold (University of Western Ontario)
* Gualtiero Piccinini (University of Missouri St. Louis)
* Paula Quinon (University of Lund)
* Tom Sterkenburg (MCMP/LMU Munich)
* Máté Szabo (University of Lorraine, University of Paris 1)

SUBMISSIONS

Prospective authors are invited to submit an extended abstract of between
600-1000 words, along with a short abstract of no more than 150 words, via the
conference's EasyChair site:
https://easychair.org/conferences/conference_dir.cgi?a=20704252. Submissions
must be prepared for blind review by removing any identifying author
information, and submitted in Portable Document Format (PDF).

We especially encourage submissions from early career researchers and
researchers from underrepresented groups, although submissions from researchers
in all stages of their career and from all groups are welcome.

IMPORTANT DATES

* Submissions deadline: 17 March 2019
* Notification of acceptance: Beginning of April 2019.
* Conference dates: May 31 - June 2, 2019.

SUBSIDY FOR EARLY CAREER PRESENTERS

We hope to be able to offer a small subsidy to early career contributed
speakers in order to help defray the costs of their travel and accommodation.
The exact amount that we will be able to provide will be determined within the
next few weeks.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

* Holger Andreas (University of British Columbia, MCMP/LMU Munich)
* Lucas Dunlap (University of Cincinnati)
* Nicolas Fillion (Simon Fraser University)
* Adam Koberinski (University of Western Ontario)
* Gregory Lavers (Concordia University)
* Hannes Leitgeb (MCMP/LMU Munich)
* Rossella Lupacchini (University of Bologna)
* Lavinia Picollo (University College London, MCMP/LMU Munich)
* Gil Sagi (University of Haifa, MCMP/LMU Munich)
* Oron Shagrir (Hebrew University of Jerusalem)
* Marta Sznajder (MCMP/LMU Munich)

ORGANISING COMMITTEE

* Marianna Antonutti Marfori (MCMP/LMU Munich)
* Michael Cuffaro (Rotman Institute of Philosophy/Western Ontario and MCMP)

REGISTRATION AND PRACTICAL INFORMATION

Non-presenting participants will be asked to pay a registration fee. Practical
information concerning the registration fees, conference location, nearby
hotels, etc. will be available via the conference's website:
https://www.mcmp.philosophie.uni-muenchen.de/events/workshops/container/ws_comp_sci_theory_practice/index.html

For further inquiries, please email the organisers at cstp2019 at easychair.org.

The conference language is English.

--