[SIGCIS-Members] Interview for 6th grade history project re: "the first computer"

Liza Loop lizaloop at loopcenter.org
Thu Feb 21 22:48:38 PST 2019

Hi Eric and Ian,

I want to echo Ian's point that this is a good opportunity to widen the
young man's perspective on what computation is and how people have done it
over the years. However, kids bent on completing school assignments are
often frustrated by us curious adults leading them down paths of interest
to us and not to them. He may have a very narrow conception of "computer"
as a box/screen combination you by from CostCo and use to play games on,
send emails and do homework. Many kids don't even realize that their
microcomputer, tablet and smart phones all have calculators in them. You
might want to start by asking him for a few examples of things that are and
are not computers in his opinion. I'm guessing he'll want to learn about
the first example of what he thinks of as a computer.

Are you familiar with the "cardiac
<https://archive.org/details/CardiacCardboardIllustrativeAidToComputation>"?
This little manual has a pretty good review of the history of computing
machines and how they work. His reaction to this will give you a better
idea of what other material will turn him on. I have lots of other
resources if this one strikes a positive chord, including the very first
Apple Computer (clearly not the first "computer").

Also, I'd suggest you try to discern whether the emphasis in this school
project is on how to interview an expert or on the content of the history.
It may be just as important to disclose how you got to be "an expert" and
what an historian is as it is to identify the "first" computer.

Best of luck,

Liza

Liza Loop
Executive Director, LO*OP Center, Inc.
Vision Keeper, the History of Computing in Learning and Education
www.hcle.org
Guerneville, CA 95446
www.loopcenter.org
650 619 1099 (between 8 am and 10 pm Pacific time only please)